Board :Story Contest
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :2nd Place by CloseCombat
Date :11/20
Reminiscing

Is it me, or does the world keep repeating itself? War after war, smile and tear, victory and defeat, it's just a constant repeat. Yes, I am a warrior. My life is on the battlefield. I slaughtered and kill my enemies without any hesitation. It is a regular thing for me. I was taught that I always stand in the position of righteousness. I don't care what other people think.

But sometimes I wonder what is right or wrong. Is it black and white? Or is it a grey area in between? Every time I think of that, my memories return to a time when I was a young warrior. A time when I spent most of my time practicing how to fight. At that time, my mentor told me something important. Something that could change how we think about a fight.

He said that we should avoid any battle if there is a chance of peace. We should always try to reach for it. He said that battle is always a last resort. We must negotiate and compromise before we subdue. Because there is always chaos on the battlefield. It is hard to differentiate enemies and foes. And on top of it, we could kill someone's father, husband, brother, family, and friends. Even if we won, there is no glory coming after it. The losing side will plan for revenge thus making a future war unavoidable.

I try and try to forget what he said. Because the battlefield is my home. Fighting is what I do best. But sometimes I wonder how would it be if there was peace among the kingdoms. How would we advance as humans if we do anything together? Well, we can only dream. Before it happens we will always stay in the cycle. We will always be trapped in a repeat we normally called a deja vu.

CloseCombat